Hello lovelies! While Kate is recovering from her surgery and 300 inches of snow fall in the Boston area (only slightly exaggerated) she was sweet enough to hand the blog reigns over to me for a day! I’m Kati Rose from Constantly Seeking Wonder!
Like Kate and many of you, I’m an aspiring author. While I haven’t brought a book to completion (YET) I am always writing and currently have three manuscripts in various stages. I know one of the biggest difficulties I face is writer’s block. Yes, that dreaded phrase we writers despise.
How often do we end up feeling like Jake from New Girl below?
I know I do at least once a week if not once a day. How do we get past this roadblock?
One look at my blog and it’s obvious music is my thing. It shouldn’t come as a surprise that I use music to inspire writing too. I know some people swear by silence, I swear by writing to music. Even if you don’t use it while you write, use music while you brainstorm and see what happens! There have been plenty of studies conducted that have shown the benefits music has for focus and creativity.
5 reasons I love music as a writing tool.
- It provides background noise. Maybe it’s me, but when I can hear every bump and creak in my house I get way too distracted.
- It moves us. It’s one of the quickest ways to spur ideas and invoke emotions.
- It puts you in the right mood and frame of mind for particular scenes. I especially use it for grittier scenes.
- It allows you to fully picture what you’re writing. How would a reader imagine the scene? Music sets the tone.
- It allows for spontaneous dance and sing a long breaks which are good for the soul and writing process.
It all comes down to what works best for you! As the queen of playlists, I know I have a few different writing playlists depending on what I need. Today my song of song was “Come Pick Me Up” by Ryan Adams.
What inspires you to write? Do you have any particular songs that you listen to?
If you enjoyed my sarcastic commentary and rambling on all the finer things in life make sure to stop by my blog and say hello! I’d love to get to know more of you better. I surround myself with the passions I love most and share them with others to enjoy. Music, entertainment, photography, art, fashion, travel, and more! Everyday is an adventure!