This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for supporting Kate the (Almost) Great!
Shopping small isn’t just for Small Business Saturday! So if you’re working on your holiday shopping, be sure to check out your favorite small businesses. I think we all know that shopping at small businesses has never been more important than in 2020, and I would rather you shop at your personal favorite local stores than you buy anything from this small business gift guide. That being said, I want to introduce you to some really awesome internet small businesses.
I also want to give you a heads up: something that you’re going to learn from this post is that I really really like swear words. This might come as a surprise to any of you who don’t know me in person! I swear so much – which is going to be reflected from the things I share in this post. You learn something every day!
Before you do any shopping, sign up for Rakuten, formerly known as EBates. It’s an extension you install to your browser and it will alert you when you’re on a website that they have a partnership with. Get cash back when you shop! They partner with the companies and get paid through them, so you pay nothing, but you get money. Sign up here.
Small Business Gift Guide: Jewelry
My friend Victoria has a great Instagram-based business selling crystal jewelry. You don’t have to be into crystals to like her stuff! I’m not into them and I has multiple pieces. I can’t really link to current available items because it changes weekly, here below is a picture of one of my necklaces by her. Go check out her Instagram for more, but she also has a website, which is ideal if you can’t really be on Instagram on Fridays when she drops new crystal jewelry.
If you’re looking for something a little more personalized, everything in this gift guide is from an Etsy shop, which are all small businesses. (Yes, Etsy itself isn’t small, but you’re supporting the individual stores and small business owners when you buy from Etsy shops.) There are a lot of jewelry items in that post, and everything is under $50: Cheap Custom Gifts.
Small Business Gift Guide: Stationery
I really like Blosette, a curated website of Baylie’s favorite things! She has great taste. And she has been kind enough to give you guys a coupon code! Use code “GREAT” to get 10% off.
- I really like the Productive As Fuck Notepad, which is exactly what it sounds like.
- Know someone who needs to get their life in order? You need the Here’s the Plan Notepad.
- For the cook in your life, some old fashioned recipe cards
Victoria also sells hand-stamped journals!
Another brand I really like is Ivory Paper Co., which is where I got my new planner above. Not only is it a small business, it’s a black-owned business. So if you want to support a small business owned by a WOC, definitely check them out. Some things to get there:
- Hardcover paper notebooks (looks just like my planner above – with a whole bunch of different available covers)
- Personalized stationery notecards
- Customizable notepads
- Large Deskpad Weekly Calendar
- Daily Notepad
- Plain notepad
Some of my favorite planner/stationery/journaling stickers and such comes from Samantha Mae Sticks. So if you are shopping for someone who loves planners or journaling, definitely check out her website. Here are some categories to get you going:
- Sticker storage (albums + books)
- Bujo stickers
- Animal Crossing stickers
- Foiled vertical kits
- Non-foiled vertical kits
- Hobonichi stickers
Small Business Gift Guide: Crafts
CKCrossStitch is a great Etsy shop where you can buy cross stitches fully made or you can buy make-it-yourself kits. Perfect for the person in your life who needs to get some energy out by stabbing needles into fabric over and over again 😉 Some of my favorites:
- Subversive Cross Stitch Kit (Fuck This Shit)
- Subversive Cross Stitch Kit (a whole bunch of words)
- Cactus Cross Stitch
This is a very cross stitch-heavy section! If you know someone who already cross stitches and has their own materials, or if you’re getting them materials for the holidays and want to add on some patterns for them to do, Victoria has 12 PDF patterns for sale. They’re all $5!
Small Business Gift Guide: Miscellaneous
Some things from Blosette:
- Check out this super cute Doodle World Map Tote. It’s a tote bag with a ready-to-be-colored world map on it, and it comes with markers. It’s great if you know a world-traveler kid or a kid-at-heart!
- So Fetch Dog Pin
- Woven headband
I might have been terrible with my gardening this year, but I loved trying to grow herbs. Know someone who might want to try it? Check out Spade to Fork, the Amazon-based business where I bought my kit.
- Indoor Herb Garden Starter Kit (basil, thyme, parsley, cilantro, and sage)
- Indoor Vegetable Garden Seeds Starter Kit (exotic veggies)
- Indoor Garden Pepper Seed Starter Kit (including spicy peppers)
- Indoor Herb Garden Kit (chives, cilantro, parsley)
- 9 Herb Window Garden
- Indoor Herb Garden Starter Kit (basil, thyme, parsley, cilantro, chives)
Victoria sells really cute hand-embroidered t-shirts! You can see them all here. Here are my favorites:
- SICK MOM // hand-embroidered pocket tee (black)
- YOU BELONG // hand-embroidered pocket tee
- Does this cat have a name? // hand-embroidered pocket tee
What small businesses will you be shopping at?
Like this post? Please consider sharing it by clicking one of the links below or in the menu on the left. Thank you!