After the disappointment of September, October wasn’t looking too good at first. But then things changed early in the month. I’ll go into more detail on that, and what I think caused it, in a little bit. But first, let’s look at the statistics and how things have changed from October’s blogging traffic.
Current Stats (November 1)
Unique Pageviews: 4,598 (-43% from last month, +21.6% from start)
Bounce Rate: 82.32% (+17% from last month, -1% from start)
Sessions: 3,359 (-33% from last month, +19.5% from start)
Users: 2,891 (-35% from last month, +50% from start)
Bloglovin: 1,549 (+3.4% from last month, +15% from start)
Email Subscribers: 58 (+3.5% from last month, started at 0)
Facebook: 735 (+1.2% from last month, +22% from start)
Twitter: 1,810 (+4.3% from last month, +17% from start)
Instagram: 900 (+2% from last month, +124% from start)
Google+: 133 (+8.1% from last month, +58% from start)
Pinterest: 1,685 (+2.2% from last month, +84% from start)
Tumblr: 3,380 (+0.6% from last month, +8.3% from start)
- Dear Selena Gomez
- 40 Blog Post Ideas
- Fall Finds and Target Giveaway
- On Plagiarism in Blogging
- The One Thing Every Woman Must Do
- September Blog Traffic Report
- How Do You Blog with Limited Time?
- How To Succeed as a Spoonie Student
- 6 NaNoWriMo Tips
- What’s in My Bag?
What I Did:
- How I Promote My Blog Posts
- Updated some old posts with SEO
- Added new plugins: Click To Tweet and Popular Posts
- Started using a social media calendar, based on posts from Kayla Hollatz and Chloe Social
- Working on the quality of blog posts
- Promoted pin (blogging)
- Created a special Error 404 page with links to posts
- Played around with Google Analytics and Jetpack to see if that was affecting bad stats
- Updated Genesis
- Promoted pin (plagiarism in blogging post)
- Huge Target giveaway
- Started Quit Your Job To Blog* course
- Added a “Start Here” subpage under my “About” page with information, links to popular posts, email lists, etc.
- Started working on revamping “About” page
- Added Popular Posts widget – this widget only counts from when it was installed, hence including the popular posts link on Start Here page
- Renewed a whole bunch of ads, mostly ad swaps
- Updated many of my secret Pinterest boards so BoardBooster* could publish my scheduled pins
- Updating old posts with SEO
- New Plug-ins
- Social media calendar
- Improving quality of posts
- Promoted pins
- Combination of uninstalling and reinstalling Google Analytics and Jetpack and updating Genesis – My months of pageviews dropping seems to have finally ended! The lowest numbers were on October 10 and things have started really improving since then. I don’t know if it was coincidence or this combination. I did see something from a Genesis child-theme designer posted before the most recent WordPress software update saying that if you didn’t update Genesis and WordPress in that order, it could mess with things. I don’t know if that’s what happened, but after I updated Genesis (along with doing several other things on this list), things started getting better.
- Target giveaway
- Start Here subpage
I Haven’t Seen Results From:
- Quit Your Job To Blog – I started this course on October 22 and did only 2 little bits of it. Those bits were things that I already knew because of my consult with Helene back in August 2014. However, what I have done in November with the course has, so far, really helped. Just so you know, though, nothing in this post is from Helene’s course and, going forward, I will not be saying what things I did from the course that have helped me. That’s not fair to Helene or to me, honestly, because I’m paying for the course and she’s charging for it. Going forward, I will say mention the course and if it helps me, but I will not say what I do from it. Hope you understand!
- Increase pageviews back up to 10,000+ – I didn’t do this, but, like I said, at least my pageviews have stopped dropping. I’ll take it!
- Decrease bounce rate back down to below 50% – Also didn’t do this, but it stopped increasing. I’ll take this, too!
Plans and Goals:
I’m going to stick to simple, general goals for blogging for now. But social media? Reaching for the stars!
- Keep increasing statistics
- Reach over 2,000 Twitter followers
- Reach 1,000 Instagram followers